'Irresponsible' Novak Djokovic slammed after testing positive for Covid-19
World number one Novak Djokovic tested positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday, days after he hosted a number of players in the Adria Tour exhibition tournament in the Balkan region.
Djokovic was criticised for hosting the tournament amid a pandemic after Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki also returned positive tests after playing in the tournament that was held in Serbia and Croatia.
Following Djokovic's revelation, many in the tennis world took to social media to slam the star for being "irresponsible".
Nick Kyrgios, two-times Grand Slam quarter-finalist posted:
Prayers up to all the players that have contracted Covid - 19. Don’t @ me for anything I’ve done that has been ‘irresponsible’ or classified as ‘stupidity’ - this takes the cake. https://t.co/lVligELgID— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) June 23, 2020
Martina Navratilova, 59-times Grand Slam champion wrote:
Yikes... this is not good and it’s a pattern... Hope Novak will be ok of course! What now, US Open? Roland Garros? We have a lot of work to do... https://t.co/soyghND0Li— Martina Navratilova (@Martina) June 23, 2020
Patrick McEnroe, former doubles champion and commentator meanwhile posted a video on the matter:
A thought... pic.twitter.com/TkHiTpBmzh— Patrick McEnroe (@PatrickMcEnroe) June 23, 2020
ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi:
"Obviously we feel sorry for the players. We want them to recover as soon as possible," he told the New York Times.
"I know there has been a lot of criticism, but on the other hand, we at the ATP, the USTA, and everybody, we have to be careful because we also have to be conscious that even with extreme measures, you could actually end up having some players testing positive.
"You don't need players and people hugging each other for someone to test positive. So we're all running the risk."
Croatian Tennis president Nikolina Babic:
"Some minor mistakes may have been made, but the idea (for the tournament) was a good one," Babic told Croatian daily Vecernji List/
"In Zadar, we had players for whom we usually have to pay 10 million euros ($11.3 million) to bring. It was an opportunity that may never come to us again."
Radmilo Armenulic, former Yugoslavia Davis Cup coach:
"Djokovic shot himself in the foot by organising the Adria Tour. The organisation of the Belgrade leg was catastrophic, the stands were so full that fans were virtually sitting on top of each other," he told Reuters.
"He staged this event with the best of intentions but it turns out it was a big mistake."
Donna Vekic, who featured in a mixed doubles match with Djokovic and Coric at the tournament:
Hi everyone! Just wanted to inform you that I have tested negative for Covid-19 and I will do another test on Friday. According to input from medical experts, I am self-isolating. Wishing everyone who tested positive a speedy recovery. 🙏🏻— Donna Vekic (@DonnaVekic) June 23, 2020
Over the past two days, organisers have also been criticised for allowing stands to be packed with fans during the opening leg in Belgrade.
With no social distancing rules in place in Serbia, players hugged at the net, played basketball, posed for pictures, attended press conferences and were out dancing together.
Dan Evans, Britain's number one:
"I don't think he should be having a players' party and dancing all over each other," Evans said.
"Players have tested positive. He should feel some responsibility in his event and how it's transpired, really.
"It's very unfortunate that Grigor has it and Coric has it but you strip it back, is it a surprise? I think that's the question we should all ask."
Tennys Sandgren, Australian Open quarter-finalist:
If Novak doesn’t get covid I’m gonna start blessing my water with positive vibes— Tennys Sandgren (@TennysSandgren) June 22, 2020
Sachia Vickery, American tennis player:
Last one for the Djokovic fan club who abused me last week after all I said was the first priority should be health and not how many people the top players can bring to a slam 🤷🏾♀️🤫🤫 it’s awfully quiet right now 🤔🤫 pic.twitter.com/ByWAAgQoE5— Sachia Vickery (@SachiaVick) June 23, 2020
Mitchell Krueger, American tennis player:
It’s only inevitable that all these bonehead decisions are possibly putting US Open at risk. Which means this also affects some 300+ players. Nobody is bigger than the sport— Mitchell Krueger (@mitch_krueger) June 22, 2020
Noah Rubin, former junior Wimbledon champion:
It’s just not okay. Reckless and disappointing that they thought tennis deserved the risk https://t.co/pkbnISTv6i— Noah Rubin (@Noahrubin33) June 21, 2020
Tara Moore, British tennis player:
Wait djoko is the guy who was engraged at USO for only allowing 1 entourage in, but ok with Qs, wheelchair, juniors etc to be cancelled but lobbied HARD for more of his team to be able to go. The men’s tour DIRECTLY IMPACTS THE WOMENS TOUR before anyone starts #tennis #Djokovic— Tara Moore (@TaraMoore92) June 22, 2020