ANC's January 8 briefing postponed
JOHANNESBURG - The African National Congress's (ANC) January 8 briefing was on Wednesday morning postponed to Thursday. Reasons for the postponement are not yet available.
Meanwhile, some of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s allies in the ANC said the party's National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting, which is sitting on Wednesday, should not be diluted with discussions over secretary general Ace Magashule’s fate, but should rather focus on the party’s upcoming January 8th statement.
Recommendations by the party’s integrity commission for Magashule to step aside found their way in to the public domain last month.
READ: ‘That's ill-disciplined’: Magashule slams leaking of integrity commission report
This follows several months of back and forth battles to get members implicated in serious crimes to step aside. At least five legal opinions were sought in this regard.
Magashule is facing several charges relating to fraud, corruption and money laundering during his tenure as Free State premier.
The ANC cancelled its trimmed down January 8 birthday celebrations, which were meant to take place at the end of the week. Ramaphosa is still expected to give his January 8 address then.
ALSO READ: Was the fight against corruption in 2020 genuine or was it for show?
Those loyal to Ramaphosa in the NEC want his 2021 January 8 statement to go off without a glitch and want to see the issue about Magashule put to bed by the end of the month.
Unlike previous NEC meetings that have been held across the country, this one is going to be virtual due to COVID-19.
Supporters of Magashule have cautioned against trusting that it would be an uneventful NEC, but ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe said this sitting would deal with only one issue.
“It’s consistent with structures and traditions of what the African National Congress does every year at the beginning of the year. It will convene a special NEC in this way to look at the content of the statement, agree on the theme, and of course reflect on the issues that will have to be considered,” Mabe said.
WATCH: I will only take my cue from the ANC NEC – Ace Magashule speaks on report leakage
Download the Eyewitness News app to your iOS or Android device.