Sazerac - the world's oldest cocktail #WorldCocktailDay.
If you’re not able to get out and about on World Cocktail Day, you can still partake in the festivities by making yourself a classic cocktail at home.
Stock up on Angostura bitters and try out the Sazerac- thought to be the world’s oldest cocktail.
This classic whiskey cocktail was invented in the mid-1800s at the Sazerac Coffee House in New Orleans. It is delicately laced with aromas of citrus and subtle notes of spices- and is also the perfect autumn drink.
- 1-2 sugar cubes
- 2 dashes Angostura orange bitters
- 2 dashes Angostura aromatic bitters
- 59ml whisky
- 1-2 ice cubes
- 7ml absinthe
- Glass: Rocks
- Garnish: Lemon Twist
- Muddle sugar cubes, orange bitters and aromatic bitters in a rocks glass.
- Add whiskey and stir gently.
- Add cubed ice and stir until chilled.
- Add Absinthe to a second chilled rocks glass and swirl to evenly coat glass.
- Discard absinthe from second glass then strain and pour in mixture from first rocks glass.
- Rim glass with lemon twist and place in glass as garnish.