RECIPE Hot cross brownies
175g (350ml) cocoa powder
240g (2 cups) self-raising cake flour
2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
5ml (1 tsp) baking powder
8 eggs, lightly beaten
125ml (½ cup) oil
250ml (1 cup) room-temperature water
500ml (2 cups) salted peanuts and raisins
250ml (1 cup) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
30ml (2 tbsp) butter
45ml (3 tbsp) caster sugar
120g (1 cup) self-raising flour
60ml (¼ cup) milk
2.5ml (½ tsp) baking powder
- To make the brownies, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl of an electric mixer.
- Sift the cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and eggs to the creamed mixture. Mix well and then add the oil and water, together with peanuts and raisins.
- Scoop into greased muffin pans lined with paper cases.
- For the crosses, cream the butter and sugar until creamy, then add the remaining ingredients. It should be a fairly thick mixture. Place into a piping bag with a plain nozzle and pipe a cross onto each muffin-style brownie.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for about 40 to 50 minutes.
• Recipe by trainee chef Valia Dimitri from the Sense of Taste Chef School in Cape Town.