Braaied portobello egg cups
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 14 minutes
- 4 large Portobello (big brown) mushrooms, cleaned and stalks removed (see optional extras below)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- Grilled bacon
- Wilted garlic spinach – chop the mushroom stalks removed from the Portobello (big brown) mushrooms above and sauté in olive oil and butter until browned. Add a clove of crushed garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add a washed 200g bag of baby spinach leaves. Cook, stirring often until wilted.
- Salad of diced tomato, cucumber, peppers and coriander in a vinaigrette made from 1tbsp fresh lime juice and 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil, seasoned to taste.
- Rub the Portobellos with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Place on a medium-hot braai, gill-side down, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Flip the mushrooms and then carefully break an egg into each. Allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes, until mushrooms have grill marks and eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Serve topped with grilled bacon, wilted garlic spinach or salad, if you like.
South African Mushroom Association